Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Use Advertising to Raise Consciousness

"No God?....No Problem." That's the headline in a series of ads scheduled to appear in several cities in the US.

I just read in USA TODAY that the American Humanist Association is launching an ad campaign promoting its ethical life philosophy. Hurrah for them! While I am not a member of the association, I would consider my self a humanist based on what I know about their beliefs. They believe that striving to make the world a better place is one of humanity's most important responsibilities. "Religion does not have a monopoly on morality - millions of people are good without believing in God," says Roy Speckhardt, executive director of the American Humanist Association.

This is of particular interest to me because I just recently raised this very idea of advertising to the makers of the film "A Peaceable Kingdom," about factory farming and the abuses and torture factory farm animals suffer within this industry. I feel strongly that if people were aware of where their meat came from, they would seriously take a second look at eating what is on their plates. Advertising has proven itself effective time and time again. And the all-powerful meat and dairy industry have used advertising quite effectively to continually dupe the public that there really are happy farm animals and satisfied dairy cows pumping out the milk! I wonder why organizations like the Humane Farming Association and PETA don't take this same tract with factory farming. You know what...I'm going to ask them! I encourage you to do the same.

Meanwhile, kudos to the American Humanist Association. It's time the word "atheist" comes out of the closet and not be associated with amorality or evil. A belief in God does not preclude "goodness" nor does a belief that there is no God. Only a strong moral standing and a belief system founded on doing no harm can one be truly considered "good."

No comments:

Post a Comment